Sunday 23 October 2011

The Vassar Vegan!

Welcome back from break, Vassar College!

This is my first post for Contrast, and I’m so excited to show you the benefits of a vegan lifestyle…AND how easy it is, even at college. I’m here to give you vegan recipes, show you new vegan products, and give you tips about how to be a Vassar Vegan!

First of all, what does being vegan really involve? For me at least, it means that I don’t eat any animal products: that’s meat, poultry, seafood, dairy and eggs, and any product that has animal derivatives. So what do I eat? Plant-based foods, plus all the alternatives to meat and dairy, like non-dairy milk and soy sausage. I also strive to avoid buying animal products for clothing, toiletries and other products that have been tested on animals.

The next question might be, why vegan? For me, there are so many reasons. Factory farms, where the world gets upwards of 95% of their animal products, treat their animals abominably—agribusiness treats animals as solely commodities, where the animals become immobile and live a life of suffering. About 85% of world marine fish stocks are exploited and depleted, causing serious damage to our oceans. Growing animals for livestock is also responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions. (whyvegan.com) Animal waste from feedlots and factories is the leading cause of pollution in groundwater and rivers.

Even Lisa Simpson ponders what it truly means to be a meateater

And finally, if saving animals and the earth weren’t reason enough, consuming animal fats and proteins has been linked to higher risk of heart disease, different types of cancers, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity and other devastating conditions (vegan.org). A vegan diet can provide all the nutrients we need to be healthy!

I also find that I just feel better living a vegan lifestyle, both physically and mentally. If you try it, you might feel the same way! If you’re interested and want to read more, go to veganoutreach.org or come to the Vassar Animal Rights Coalition meetings Tuesdays at 5pm in the Rose Parlor (how’s that for a shameless plug?)

Thanks for getting this far; I hope I haven’t scared you away. In fact, I hope you’re excited by all the benefits of a vegan lifestyle! I’m here to make your life easier, so let’s start with the fun stuff!

Here’s a delicious recipe that you can make in the DC at the stir-fry station: CHICKPEA CURRY, courtesy of one of my favorite blogs, theveganstoner.blogspot.com!

1) Throw some bell pepper, carrot, chickpeas and a big scoop of soy yogurt into a pan and heat on medium-high

2) Stir in a good amount of curry powder and some garlic powder

3) Season with salt and pepper (and Sriracha if you want, which I add to everything)

4) When the veggies start getting soft, add a scoop of brown rice

5) Cook until soft

6) Enjoy, and make all your friends jealous that you’re eating something delicious!

That’s all for now! See you next week!

-The Vassar Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment