Sunday 6 November 2011

Hey Vassar College!

I’ve had a lovely and relaxing week – my show is over, I’ve had some down time with work, been watching tons of Mad Men on instant Netflix; life’s been pretty good. Of course, when I have some time to kill, I usually spend it online shopping (or online window shopping, since I’ve been trying to curb my spending habits lately). But I have to say, all the vegan leather from Free People is really tempting me! They’ve got vegan leather jackets, vegan suede flare pants, vegan leather shorts. And it’s not that expensive! Too good to be true (but unfortunately for my wallet, it’s true). Here’s a link to all their vegan apparel:



Vegan leather jacket

I haven’t been able to cook that much due to my crazy schedule, but Friday night, a few friends and I decided to make a Mexican-themed dinner of spicy seitan fajitas and homemade guacamole. For those who think “seitan” is the same as the devil, you’re wrong. Seitan (not Satan) is wheat gluten and often used as an alternative to soy-based vegetarian proteins. It’s the “meatiest” tasting of vegan proteins, so all the carnivores out there will probably dig it. One of my friends whom I cooked this dinner with had never tried seitan before, and now she’s hooked. This was super easy to make and crazy-delicious.

SPICY SEITAN FAJITAS (from Vegetarian Times)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil

2 large red bell peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced (4 cups)

2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (3 cups)

¼ cup lime juice

2 tbsp chopped cilantro

2 tsp agave nectar

1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)

1 tsp ground cumin

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp chipotle chili powder

1 8oz pkg seitan, rinsed, drained and thinly sliced

8 6-inch sprouted whole grain tortillas, warmed

1) Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions and cook 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft and beginning to brown, stirring often

2) Meanwhile, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, agave nectar, garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder in small bowl

3) Add seitan to bell pepper mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until seitan begins to brown. Stir in lime juice mixture and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated. Serve with warm tortillas.

Until next week!

-The Vassar Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment