Monday 21 November 2011

Hey Vassar College!

So I have another busy tech week under my belt! My second show of the semester is done (the one about all those cats…) but that means I’ve had barely any time to think about anything else! One thing I managed to do was decide what I’m cooking for Thanksgiving, only 3 days away! Eek! Pumpkin pie is my favorite, so I’m definitely making this vegan version. Also, I’m going to pay homage to Aunt Harriet’s famous corn pudding by veganizing it. Traditionally, she makes her corn pudding with a can of corn, a can of creamed corn, a stick of butter, a cup of sour cream and a box of Jiffy’s cornbread mix. When I wasn’t vegan, I could’ve eaten the entire bowl myself (and given myself a coronary). To make it vegan, all I’m doing is substituting vegan margarine for butter and nondairy sour cream for its dairy compatriot. Also, instead of the cornbread mix (which contains “animal shortening”), I’m using a mix of 1/3 cup sugar, ½ cup cornmeal and ½ cup flour. It all gets thrown in a baking dish and baked for an hour at 350 degrees F. Deeeelicious.

Mmmm, corn pudding!

Also, my favorite NYC vegan restaurant, Candle 79, is catering Thanksgiving for those who don’t want to cook. I’m ordering a few things for our Thanksgiving meal, in addition to cooking (and the food my mother already is having catered, since the most cooking she does is picking up a telephone and dialing). If I could, I would order my entire Thanksgiving meal from this place! Everything sounds delicious! But I chose to get the Roasted Squash soup, the Walnut-Sage Crusted Seitan with roasted root vegetables, grilled endive and vegetable-mushroom reduction, and of course a Pecan Pie. Mmmm, can it be Thursday yet? Here’s a link to their website.

Also, here’s a recipe I just found on one of my go-to vegan blogs. I might have to add this to my Thanksgiving dinner table.

CREAMY VEGAN BROCCOLI AND RICE CASSEROLE (from blog.fatfreevegan.com)

Ingredients:

Sauce:

1 ¼ cup plain unsweetened soymilk (or other nondairy milk)

½ cup nutritional yeast

4 tsp cornstarch or potato starch

1 clove garlic

½ tbsp lemon juice

½ tbsp sherry (optional)

½ tsp salt (or more to taste)

½ tsp onion powder

¼ tsp dry mustard

¼ tsp smoked paprika

Pinch cayenne pepper

1 tbsp tahini or cashew butter (optional)

Black pepper

Casserole:

1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (about 5 cups)

1 medium onion, chopped

½ red or yellow bell pepper, chopped

½ cup chopped celery

1 ¾ cups cooked chickpeas

½ tsp dried thyme

3 cups cooked brown rice (warm if possible)

2 tbsp sliced or slivered almonds (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 375. Lightly oil or spray a medium casserole dish

2) Place the sauce ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.

3) Steam the broccoli over water, covered, until just barely tender, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.

4) While the broccoli is steaming, heat a large, deep non-stick skillet or sauté pan. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, thyme, rice and steamed broccoli. Make sure the sauce is well blended and add it to the skillet. Stir gently and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if necessary, and smooth into the prepared casserole dish. Bake until the top begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Love,

The Vassar Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment