Monday 14 November 2011

Hi Vassar College!

I don’t know about any of you, but I can’t believe it’s already the middle of November! Thanksgiving is only a week away (eek!) and I’m busy gathering some recipes to cook for my own family’s Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, it won’t be all vegan (Uncle David likes turkey too much) but I’m going to be supplying some vegan side dishes and desserts! More on that next week, when I solidify my recipes.

But this week, I was thrilled to be able to share some of my vegan cooking tips with about 10 hungry people, as part of Davison’s Multi-Cultural Cooking Class event. Through VARC, I taught a cooking class featuring healthful, vegan eating! We made the black bean and butternut squash chili that I posted a few weeks ago, as well as these pumpkin cookies from ohladycakes.com. Everything was awesomely delicious, and only took about an hour and a half total.

Lots of veggie chopping

Cookies going into the oven!

The last little bit of chili left! Yum!

I also noticed that I haven’t given a recipe that can be made in the DC in quite a while. So here’s one, from Vegetarian Times, that’s great for breakfast or dinner!

SOUTHWESTERN TOFU SCRAMBLE (from Vegetarian Times)

1) Add a little oil to a large skillet and set over medium heat. Add bell pepper and carrot and cook just until tender

2) Stir in onions, garlic, a sprinkle of cumin and a sprinkle of turmeric and cook for another minute

3) Add tofu and a little hot sauce. Combine with vegetables and cook another few minutes, or until the tofu is heated through and all liquid has evaporated

4) Enjoy!

Love,

The Vassar Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment