Monday 23 January 2012

Welcome Back!

Hey Vassar College,

Hope everyone's having a great kickoff to their semester! I was a bit upset that I had to get off my butt, stop watching old episodes of Mad Men, and start going to class again, but I think I'm getting back into the swing of things. I spent break doing some cooking (including a fun, all-vegan potluck with friends for New Years Eve) and definitely doing some good vegan eating. I went to my favorite vegan spots, Candle Cafe and Peacefood, many times, while also navigating the omnivorous restaurant scene in NYC, which could be pretty difficult. But I did find some great places that were happy to accommodate, like Commerce in the West Village for Italian fare and Junoon near Union Square for crazy delicious Indian food.

Of course I was disappointed to leave all this tasty vegan cuisine behind for the less-reliable ACDC here at Vassar. But I must tell you, I've been pleasantly surprised with the "new DC" if you will. The hot vegetable bar is great - my first dinner back I had steamed kale!! Kale at the DC?? It's a miracle! Also there's been more vegan soup, and it hasn't been too salty at all. I'm really digging the "bread bar" and the quality of the hummus. Dining Services has really seemed to amp up the vegan/vegetarian options! Now only if the Retreat would get a bit more on board...
It's only been a week since being back, and I haven't had a chance to cook yet. But the second I
do, here's what I'm making, courtesy of ohladycakes.com

SPAGHETTI WITH AVOCADO SAUCE

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
2 cups spinach leaves
1 carrot, peeled
1 roma tomato
1/2 small white onion
1-2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground paprika
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup almond milk
16oz spaghetti noodles, cooked
1 tbsp dried basil
1 1/2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
6 tbsp pistachios, chopped
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a high powered blender (such as a Vitamix), combine the flesh of the avocados, spinach, carrot, tomato, onion and garlic cloves; blend until creamy. Add the lemon juice, paprika, turmeric and salt; pulse for 10-15 seconds then set aside. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil and milk, then add the spaghetti noodles and basil; mix for 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are coated. Divide noodles evenly between six plates. Layer, in this order: fresh spinach, avocado sauce, pistachios, nutritional yeast and salt/pepper.

Thats all for now. See you next week!

Love,
The Vassar Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment