Monday 5 November 2012

The Bearded Lady



Now introducing a new act to the random carnival that is Potpourri: Margot, creator and owner of The Bearded Lady.

I think this is the first time I’ve seen your booth here at Vassar, how did you get started?
I’m actually going to be opening up a thrift and consignment store around here really soon, and since I heard this was happening at Vassar I thought it’d be a good place to test out the clientele and see if people like it.

Exciting, so this is your first Potpourri?
Yeah, it is, and it’s going really well. People definitely seem to be liking the stuff and I’ve met some cool people.

Where’s your location going to be?
On Raymond Ave, right across from the Acropolis. So super close to Vassar.

With all of the colleges nearby, why did you pick Vassar?
I actually live in Poughkeepsie, so I kind of grew up around Vassar, my friends go to Vassar and I feel like I know the people pretty well. I think that they would enjoy what I have to offer.

Where do you think your interest in vintage and thrifting came from?
Well I loved shopping a lot and I loved thrifting a lot. I ended up having so much stuff that it was overflowing everywhere and I had to rent a closet space. People kept saying that I should sell my things, and soon I realized that that was definitely something I really loved doing so I thought, ‘You know what, I’m at a good place here. I could totally open up a store.’

Are there any items you really gravitate towards?
I always go for things like typewriters, a lot of silky slip things and vintage suitcases. I don’t know if other people always like those things, but that’s definitely what I like most. And things like denim coats, cool shoes..

Right, staples..
Yeah.

So why do you prefer vintage and thrifting over shopping for new items at stores like H&M and Zara?
I love thrifting because it’s definitely a lot cheaper, I’ll find items that are more unique, and a lot of the time I don’t support big brand names and big department stores because I don’t like to give them money which goes towards causes I don’t believe in. So I’d much rather go to little places where I can get my money’s worth.

And you’re supporting local businesses, like yourself.
Yeah, exactly.

Watch out for The Bearded Lady, opening soon on Raymond Ave, and contact TheBeardedLadyStore@gmail.com for more information.

Written by: Alycia Anderson





No comments:

Post a Comment