Friday 23 October 2009

Reel To Real #4: Brigitte Bardot in "Contempt (Le Mepris)"



So I was requested to feature Brigitte Bardot in "Contempt", and coincidentally, this was one of the examples I had in mind when I thought of this column. Jean-Luc Godard's 1963 film may actually be the most visually stunning movie i've ever seen. I mean, it takes place (partially) in Capri! So as to not blend in with the unforgettable settings, Bardot's wardrobe had to be very memorable. 

As the commenter wrote, "solid colors, thin silhouettes, oh my!". The entire film (as in much of Godard's work from this era) is characterized by a use of bold primary colors, which extends to Bardot's look. She looks very put-together but not in a dull or dowdy way. Her look is great and easy to copy because it can be worn in either a professional or casual setting (think high-waisted pencil skirts, cardigans, ballet flats, and stripes). "Contempt" takes place in a sunny, paradise-like setting, so your look shouldn't be heavy.


(Bardot with Godard on set)
Her look is more playful when it comes to makeup; it is Brigitte Bardot after all, so she sports her famous cat eyes, which you can copy by liberally applying liquid eyeliner. And you too can rock that giant headband- just make sure it isn't white (when I tried that my sister said I looked like I had a head injury)
Proof that the "Contempt" look is easy to replicate? I've done it myself plenty of times:

No comments:

Post a Comment