Friday 2 March 2012

A Word from the Editors

On behalf of Contrast, we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended by the JYA Bolivia post. We have removed the post from the blog because it is not the message we want to send. We have allowed contributors to the blog to post directly without monitoring in the past. We realize now that this was a mistake on our part and in the future, we will be screening all posts prior to posting. As an organization, we are committed to promoting positive and informed writings. We had hoped that the JYA series would be more informative and respectful of other cultures. We recognize that the post could be construed as insensitive, and going forward, we will ensure that this will not happen again. With our sincere apologies, Contrast Editors in Chief

1 comment:

  1. I have nothing but respect for Bolivia. I spent a semester there, and no place outside of Vassar and my home in Vermont is closer to my heart. The tone of my article was meant to be playful and facetious, and I am surprised that people took offense. I feel that that reaction comes from a place of people perceiving Bolivia as a helpless "third world country". This is far from the case. My time in Bolivia taught me that it is an incredibly dynamic, vibrant country, with a people who demonstrate political conviction and courage in their every day lives. I understand that my sarcastic tone may have been read as insensitive, and I'm sorry for that, but more than anything I meant to simply make the point that Western fashion ideals were not what was stressed as important in my abroad experience, and that ultimately that was a positive and liberating thing. I apologize personally to anybody who was offended, and hope that you can understand the context in which it was written.

    Sincerely,
    Becca Chodorkoff

    ReplyDelete