Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tidbits, Odds, and Ends: Getting Homey and Settled in the Dorm Part I

What makes a dorm room a home? Is it the pictures of friends and family that we tape to our walls or the warm glow from a simple string of Christmas lights that somehow magically transforms our humble 15x13 feet of rented space into a welcoming safe haven? In this series, we will showcase some of the pieces that give Vassar students' rooms a uniquely homey character.


Photo: Michael Gambardella


I have had my eye on this statue since I was little. My dad picked it up on a business trip to China in the '80s and it had been in his office ever since, but I finally convinced him to let me take it to school with me. It's always one of the first things I see when I walk into my room and it never fails to remind me of my childhood and  family back at home.

                                     -Michael Gambardella

Photo: Emilia Petrarca













I saw the Impressionism show at the Musée d'Orsay while I was abroad in Paris last year and it was so wonderful, but I couldn't take a poster back with me in my already overstuffed suitcase. I went to the show again when it came to the MET in New York. It was way worse, but at least I got the poster!

                                         -Emilia Petrarca







What makes your room uniquely your space? Let us know and stay posted for more glimpses into the rooms of Vassar students.


Written by: Michael Gambardella

No comments:

Post a Comment